Monday, August 2, 2010

Ah, if I only had a brain! Image generators--Thing 2

I have used a few of these image generators before and have had success with them. There are absolutely limitless possibilities with using these in the classroom. I have to admit though I was very frustrated with Wordle. I spent HOURS trying to get this to work on my computer. Then I switched computers. I have never been able to get this to function, even after following the websites troubleshooting information. I really like the way that Wordle looks and functions (when it does).

I moved on to WordSift, which is not as graphically interesting as Wordle, but it does all the words to be hotlinked. I really liked this because i can really see that helping with vocabulary and language development. In a school where a vast majority of the students have English as their second language, having a definition and help determining the most important ideas are huge.

Next, I explored Glogster. I really enjoyed seeing this and enjoyed looking at that and i can see lots of applications for the classroom. Especially since as a school we are moving toward interdisciplinary teams.

I had already been using Animoto so I looked at Voki. I had a blast with this and I am sure that the kids will too. It put me in mind of some kids that i have had in the past that are just too scared to talk but if they could record their ideas on Voki! I love this idea very much. Also, their was a comment about adding a Voki to an email. I started to think about this. I want to pose this question. Have you ever written an email, only to have it totally misinterpreted? Perhaps, you may have meant it totally innocuously and the person on the other end takes offense because they just read it differently than you intended? Voki would kind of take care of that.

Bookr is a really neat application. I can see tons of applications for Language Arts, Social Studies, and Science. I can also see doing a Geometry book for Math and student-based projects.

Once again, here are several really interesting, user-friendly, applications to use with students.

No comments: