Friday, August 6, 2010

Thing 5--Microblogging

I have already been using Facebook and Twitter for social reasons and also for keeping up with former students. In fact, I got on Facebook because I had gone to a cyberbullying workshop and the presenter of the workshop practically shamed me into getting involved. My excuse was that I just didn't have time to mess with it. But, as with anything, if you enjoy it, i guess you will find time for it, because I sure did! Meanwhile, i have have found out a part of the true power of social networking and microblogging. From following the presidential campaign to, music and band that I like, being the first to hear about my cousin's recent engagement, keeping in touch with friends, colleagues, and family, to have in-depth discussions on topics from , teaching, health care, to the best shampoo.



I am lucky to see my son use Facebook in virtual study groups and class discussions, collaborating on group projects, etc. Students can also share links to video and audio, photos, and applications. A teacher could set up their own group and have students join comment Tweet from their phones.



As for back-channeling at school, i can see so many advantages! For those students who don't speak up or are afraid to share their thoughts, this tool would empower them to have their voice and their views heard! But as with so many of these tools close monitoring, clear explanation, and vigilant monitoring is a must!

No comments: